This recipe is Cooking With Dried Wild Mushrooms 101. Essentially the start of every recipe as well. Whether you are dressing up grains, looking for some vegetarian protein, or topping off some meat, when working with dried wild mushrooms you almost always Soak – Chop – Fry.
Prep time: 5-10 mins
Cook time: 15 - 30 mins
Yields: 4 - 6 servings
- 20g Untamed Feast Wild Mushrooms
- 1 C water for rehydration
- 2 TBSP butter or olive oil, or a combination of both
- 1/2 C onion, diced
- 1/4 C of dry white wine
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place mushrooms in a bowl and cover with water. When they are soft, chop them fine.
- Heat butter / oil in a large pan.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms until golden. Take your time here. This is where you are going to get the most flavour out of your mushrooms.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan (optional, but always a nice touch).
- Add soaking water, salt & pepper to taste, and simmer to reduce liquid.
- Finish off with one of the following:
- stir them into wild rice, quinoa or other cooked grains
- top off steak, chicken, lamb or fish
- serve them over toast, pizza, or polenta
- add them to your favourite sauces and soups
- upgrade your eggs, potatoes, and pasta ‘
- or simply add kale, broccoli, or spinach to the cooked mushrooms and sauté a little longer.